Monday, August 27, 2012

Frech Toast Sugar Cookies

Yesterday afternoon while on Pinterest, I came across a recipe for French Toast Sugar Cookies...which spunned a  spur-of-the-moment, sweet-tooth-craving inspiration that yes, I was going to make these right this very second. After grabbing everything the recipe called for out of my cupboards,  I come to find out that of course, I did not have Maple Extract (I could have sworn I had leftover from this past winter...), so I decided to substitute with, well, Maple Syrup. Now, I don't use that super sugary Aunt Jemima crap. I have always used good 'ole natural maple syrup, and I don't care about how much more it costs. The taste alone should have anyone converting, I swear.

They were absolutely delicious. I can’t decide if these taste more like french toast or a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart! Either way, these sugar cookies are fabulous and a total hit with Carl and I, so enjoy! (They tasted even better with my morning coffe this morning hehe!)


FRENCH TOAST SUGAR COOKIES

COOKIES:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, slightly softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
FROSTING:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tsp. maple extract or 1/2-1 c. of natural maple syrup (add more for desired taste)
  • 2-4 Tablespoons milk, or to desired consistency
INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Cream sugar and butter with mixer; add egg and beat until combined.
  • Add dry ingredients to a sifter. Alternate adding milk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture while mixing. Then add vanilla and stir.
  • Chill for 30 minutes before rolling out. Roll out on floured surface, cut into squares and bake at 375 degrees for 10-11 minutes, being careful not to over-bake.
  • To make the frosting, cream softened butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar and then slowly add in the rest.
  • Add maple extract (I used 3 teaspoons) and milk, and stir. The consistency you’re looking for is thick and spreadable; not runny.
  • Frost cookies, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container at room temperature to keep fresh for at least 3 days.
Serving size: Yields ~ 36 cookies; 1 cookie per serving Calories: 158 Fat: 5.4 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 26 g Sugar: 18.2 g Protein: 1.4 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...