Thursday, August 2, 2012

Rant About the Chick-fil-A Fiasco

I've been keeping my mouth shut, in fear of the backlash I would receive from others and some of my gay relatives and friends, as well. I decided on letting the news play out, hoping it would die down. It hasen't. I refuse to keep quiet anymore. I do have a right to an opinion, don't I? I am so SICK of the Chick-fil-A debate and drama that is associated with it. It's getting absolutely ridiculous. I have to rant. I apologize in advance for anyone who I offend, it is completely unintentional.

I am a free speech advocate. Everyone (Americans, I'm talking about us) SAYS they value honesty, but this business with Chick-fil-A is absolute proof we really don’t. We’d rather gulp down a disgusting potion of political correctness and gobble down everything the media reports to us, one-sided views or not. 

There’s something VERY unsettling about the public flogging of Chick-fil-A by government officials hell-bent on destroying a privately owned American company simply because of the owner’s personal opinions. Wouldn't you agree? Dan Cathy, like any other American, has a right to say what he believes. Everyone else has a right to disagree. It doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it's up to you to decide. You have the choice, the freedom.

Dan Cathy is not the only person in America who believes that same sex marriage is wrong, and Christianity isn’t the only religion that has rules against it. I don’t care what your religion is, you have a right to practice it. Being religious doesn’t equate with being stupid, despite what some the media would have us believe. Stop acting like your so shocked that anyone in the year 2012 would agree with him. Last I checked, our country was sharply divided on many issues, including this one. 

Critics LOVE to blast Christians for their “hypocrisy”. So, why aren’t they applauding Dan Cathy for being honest? For saying out loud what he believes? You can’t have it both ways. But you know what is very, very wrong? No government leader should restrict a business or organization from expanding to their district based on the personal or political views of the owners.  

You can tell all your friends how much you hate Dan Cathy and advise them never to go into Chick-fil-A. You can write blogs and op-eds, post fliers, and host I hate Chick-fil-A parties. Knock yourselves out. But please, let’s not turn this country into a place where people are afraid to express an opinion. Too many people have died to give you that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...