Sunday, July 15, 2012

Good 'Ole Crumb Topped Apple Pie

I woke up this morning with strong desire to bake. I was in a home-y mood, the type where all I want is to spend my day in the kitchen, making delicious treats. I wanted something fruity and classic, so I decided on an apple crumb pie. It’s kind of like part apple crisp, part apple pie, and something that those of us cooked fruit lovers tend to get the shivers over.

Apple Crumb Pie

What you need:

2 lb. Granny Smith apples, peeled, thinly sliced (about 5-6 cups) 

¾ cup granulated sugar 

2 tbsp. MINUTE Tapioca 

½ tsp. cinnamon 

¼ tsp. nutmeg 

½ cup flour 

¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar 

¼ cup cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces 


1 ready-to-use pie crust (I used Pillsbury Ready Made Crusts, found in the freezer aisle) 


Instructions:

HEAT oven to 400°F.

SLICE the apples thinly.



 


Mix flour and brown sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. 



ADD the butter.



FILL pie crust with apple mixture.


(Side note: I had some leftover apple mixture, so I threw them into a pan on medium heat, for a few minutes, just enough so that the sugars caramelize and the apples get mushy. It makes a great apple side dish, or just something to much on later.)

TOP top with crumb mixture.



BAKE 45 to 50 min. or until juices form bubbles that burst slowly.


 Let cool, then it's ready to enjoy!



Serve warm (if you can) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or whipped topping. I'm not going to lie, this was pretty darn fabulous, even when not served straight outta the oven!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...